Minnesota Brain Injury Alliance
Change Text Size:


2277 Highway 36 West, Suite 200 Roseville, MN 55113-3830
Phone: 612-378-2742
Toll Free: 1-800-669-6442
Fax: 612-378-2789
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


After a brain injury, many individuals experience difficulty with judgment, behavioral symptoms, memory, attention span or confusion that may lead to unsafe living situations. Individuals and families may need to create an environment that encourages safe practices regarding cooking, the use of electrical equipment, answering the door, telephone and any other activity that could pose a safety risk. The following housing options are organized from most to least independent living situations. In the case that housing outside of the current home is necessary, there is a worksheet of questions at the end of the section to bring with you when touring potential housing locations.

Possible Living Options after Brain Injury

  • A person may choose to:
    • Live independently
    • Live independently with informal assistance from friends or family
    • Live independently with formal assistance from an agency
    • Live in a rehabilitation setting
    • Live in an nursing facility
  • Family members or friends of a person with brain injury may:
    • Provide all care
    • Provide care with informal assistance from the extended family and friends
    • Provide care with formal assistance from an outside agency
    • Provide care with informal or formal arrangements for respite

Returning Home and Home Modifications
If you are returning home or going to live with another family member and the home needs modifications or alterations to make it accessible, discuss how this can be done prior to the discharge plan being prepared with the social worker at the hospital or the care facility. Home care services including OT, and the PT can visit the home and see what measures may need to be taken to accommodate the individual in their home.

The purpose of respite care is to provide short-term care for individuals with disabilities and brain injury while giving a temporary break to their regular caregivers. Unfortunately, respite opportunities in Minnesota are limited. Some funding resources may cover respite services. Speak to the county about being able to utilize this service for your loved one. If you are able to pay for this service yourself or through insurance more options may be available to you.

Renting is an option for a person with brain injury who can live independently but may need additional support. Living expenses can be minimized if the person with brain injury is willing and able to share housing with one or more individuals. Rent subsidies or assistance may be available through the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development as well as subsidies through different counties and cities. The different types of subsidies are listed on the grid below.

Overview of Three Common Affordable Rental Housing Programs

  • Public Housing – publicly owned and managed units for low-income households.
  • Project-Based Section 8 Housing – privately owned and managed units for low-income households.
  • Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers – publicly owned and managed units for low-income households; the tenant finds their own unit – within certain requirements – and the housing authority pays a portion of the rent directly to the property on behalf of the tenant.

Assisted Living
Assisted Living facilities are usually privately owned and offer a variety of support services and independent living assistance based on the individual’s needs and ability to pay. These residences are in communities throughout the State of Minnesota and are licensed by the Minnesota Department of Human Services and also are paid for by waiver.

Adult Foster Care
In Adult Foster Care, adults live in a family-like setting with other individuals that require their needs to be met like the individual with a brain injury. These settings have staff members working with them on a rotation basis and the individuals have their needs met 24 hours a day. Usually, corporations run these facilities, but there are families that choose to have foster care in their homes and are paid for these services through a waiver or private pay. In many foster care settings, residents contribute to the operation of the house by doing chores and preparing meals. Some people in these settings also leave during the day to work, volunteer, or go to day programming as part of their activities of daily living. These residences are in communities throughout the State of Minnesota and are licensed by the Minnesota Department of Human Services.

Centers for Independent Living
The eight Minnesota Centers for Independent Living (CILs) provide a number of services for people with disabilities, their families and friends, service providers and interested community members. While each CIL operates independently, all Centers for Independent Living have the following core service areas:

  • Independent Living Skills: CILs offer opportunities for people with disabilities to acquire the skills to become more independent. Topics include accessibility, attendant care, civil rights, communications, daily living, education, employment, equipment, financial benefits, health care, housing, recreation and transportation.
  • Advocacy: Advocacy is a means of assisting, supporting and securing success to meet the needs of consumers. CILs focus on educating people about critical issues and supporting their individual efforts by encouraging self-advocacy, working directly with consumers and advocating for changes in legislation and various systems.
  • Information and Referral: CILs offer information about community resources related to disabilities. Some CILs maintain a resource library. Peer Support: Persons with disabilities run support groups and one-to-one peer support options to assist other persons with disabilities. Some CILs have support programs targeted at specific populations.
  • Other Services: Among the most common services are community education and other public information services, equipment repair, recreation services and home modifications.

There are many different housing options serve people with a variety of disabilities, while others work exclusively with brain injury. There may be more resources that are available in the county you live in. For more information, contact the Minnesota Brain Injury Alliance at 612-378-2742 or 800-699-6442.

Facebook Twitter YouTube

Copyright © 2022 Minnesota Brain Injury Alliance
2277 Highway 36 West, Suite 200 | Roseville, MN 55113-3830 | Phone: 612-378-2742 or 800-669-6442